Social media refers to any applications or website that allows the users to share or post the content very quickly, efficiently, and in real time. This tool of communication started from the sites on the computer, and now these are available in the form of applications for our smartphones too. As technology is being advanced, social media site and applications are also being upgraded with time.
The ability to share the pictures, our thoughts and our events in real time are changing the way we live. Social media has changed the way we live and run our business too. If a retailer is going to be engaged with social media as a crucial part of the marketing strategy, they will get a remarkable change in the results. But, you must treat the campaign of marketing on social media with the same care to enhance your business. Never take it as an extra option and deal carelessly.
Key Principals to know about Social Media
- Social media is a place where you can connect with someone by having a conversation or by seeing what they are going to post or share. Social media is a way to connect with a large community and to build relationships.
- Social media is not a channel to broadcast or a marketing tool to use. Social media is a place to interact with the people from all over the world.
- Honesty and open dialogue should be a key of you on any social media site.
- Social media is giving you a way to listen to others, what they are saying and respond to them by telling what you are thinking.
- Never afraid to try anything new. But try to use the things with care.
Common features that every social media site or application contains
Following are some common features that almost every social media site has:
- User Account
- Profile Page
- Friends or Followers
- Groups or Pages
- News Feed
- Comment Section
- Like Button
- Rating or voting system
- Information updating
- Account Settings
- Chat box
Most popular platforms of social media
Following are a list of some of the most popular social media platforms:
A platform that allows you to have a casual discussion on a specific topic
Facebook is the largest social network in the world. More than 1.5 billion people are using Facebook. You can sign up to create your profile and add people to your friend list to be in contact with them.
A blog style social media platform that allows the user to dialogue or exchanges their ideas in the form of a short status.
YouTube is a famous website for video hosting. The user can log in to the YouTube to subscribe to different channels or can watch videos on YouTube.
A source to share videos and images on different social media platforms.
A free app to share video and photos with others. Instagram allows a user to apply different digital filters on the content that he wants to share.
It is a source to share your videos and photos with your friends. Or you can post your video or photo on a status that will automatically disappear after 24 hours.