What is cPanel?
What is cPanel?
cPanel often referred to as Control Panel is a Linux-based GUI (Graphical User Interface) that is used to simplify server and website management. cPanel is basically one of the most commonly used and popular control panel options that are used by most of the hosting providers to ensure easier and effective management of your site resources in the best possible way.
Most amazingly, cPanel can let you publish your websites, manage site resources and domains, create email accounts, and much more. In a nutshell, you can manage the entire resources of your hosting and website with the help of cPanel with ease.
However, if you want to indulge in details about cPanel, then keep reading this guide. It is because this beginner-friendly guide will let you know the important aspects of cPanel below.
Is cPanel free?
cPanel is a third-party application, therefore it is not free. However, most of the hosting providers have included a control panel in their hosting plans without any additional cost. At the same time, there are some hosting providers who are going to provide you control panel for free for the first year of subscription. However, in the later years, users may have to pay to manage their hosting and website resources using the control panel.
How to use the control panel?
So, when you will log into your cPanel using your email and password, then you will see some metrics which are here to log the usage of your resources. These insights are here to provide you a useful way to keep an eye on the overall performance of your website.
However, now it’s time to get to know about different modules present in the control panel. Here we have given an overview of the most common modules below that you must know:
- File Module: These modules will let you upload and manage your files directly without using any FTP client.
- Preferences: This module can let you customize and manage your cPanel as per your needs and desire.
- Web applications: This section will let you install different software ranging from CMSs to blogs, portals, and more.
- Databases: This section of cPanel is all about managing your site’s databases.
- Metrics: Keep an eye on the performance of your site in this section of cPanel.
- Domains: Here you can manage your multiple sites with one hosting account easily.
- Security: Security is undoubtedly the major concern of every site owner, especially if you have to store sensitive information. This section will let you keep an eye on your security features and settings.
- Software: This section is majorly all about Perl and PHP. You don’t need to use this section unless you are a pro or a more advanced user.
- Email: This is the place where you will administrate your email accounts if your hosting package includes emails.
- Advanced: Just like the name of the module, it contains advanced settings such as Cron Jobs, error pages and more, that are useful for advanced users.
Keep in mind the fact that different installations of cPanel come up with different features. However, fortunately, each of these comes up with an easier-to-use interface. Even more, it is pretty simple to browse the different features of cPanel and get to know more about each section of it.